Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Students have their good sides

     Whenever I pass out tests or worksheets to my students, a few of them each class period say, “Thank you.”
     While I appreciate and truly am impressed by this politeness, I kind of laugh inside because I feel like they would say “thank you” if a person gave them an activated hand grenade. It’s odd to hear a “thanks” in response to receiving something that’s not really desired, but it’s uplifting to see young people utilize good manners, as many do in our classrooms.
     You hear a lot of war stories about teaching, so most people (including parents) don’t know how great the kids can be. I found this out first-had a few years ago with a teen relative of mine who had constant conflicts with her parents and raised hell at home. But, her parents would go to open house at school, and all the teachers would say, “Oh, I love your daughter,” and “She’s just a joy to have in my class.”
     Her parents thought this girl must have had multiple personalities, but I soon realized that most kids act much better at school than they do at home where their parents come across to them as controlling, critical, suspicious and embarrassing.
     In reality, at school we see the best sides of the students a lot more often than we see the worst sides. They’re usually energetic, upbeat, carefree, humorous, respectful, intelligent and unselfish, and that’s why I really like my job. In what other career could you spend your days surrounded by hundreds of other people that you could describe that way.
     I feel fortunate that I don’t have to work alongside only adults. Too many grownups have turned cynical and bitter or they still act immature even though their youth has long passed. Our students, when they act immature at least have an excuse – they ARE immature. Give me the young people to be with any day.
     I’ve been a teacher for a long time, and I don’t see myself ever wanting any other job, although I might want to change grades or subjects before long for a change of pace – so I can keep growing as a person instead of falling into a monotonous routine and stagnating. Teaching offers variety and challenge and more independence than most jobs in education.
     The best part, though, is the interaction with the students. If you keep your ears open, you can learn a lot from the students as you teach them. In each class, there’s about 25 people, each an expert in a different area. One might know about cars, another about music, another about sports, yet another about art, and so on. Half of what I know about computers, I learned from watching the students doing their work.
     Often you hear people say that they fear for the future because they see our high school students and think our future leaders will be incompetent idiots. I see our students as the kids that they are. I urge them to reflect on where they’re at maturity-wise, act appropriately for the situation at hand, and keep striving to grow up. I trust that someday they’ll be in a position of responsibility, and they’ll be in good shape to handle it.
     In another week, the students return even though I’d like for summer vacation to last until Thanksgiving. Yes, I like my job, but they’re a lot of leisure activities that I like much better. I’m realistic, though, and I know nobody gets a free lunch – except all of the Eagle Pass children. I’ll go back to work with a smile and I’ll go back grateful to have a job that helps keep me young.

No comments: